Shedding the Weight….

This is the “Golden” week in China. A time when working families travel to their home province or wealthier families take a vacations to spend time with their family. This is the mid Autumn festival time when you will see the traditional Chinese Moon Cakes everywhere. Traveling in China is a challenge because all Chinese Nationals are traveling so hotels, trains and flights within China are very busy. It is a great time to travel abroad and the only holiday I can travel this year so, a friend and I decided to head to Thailand.

School was out at 2:30 and our flight was at 5:30. Tight for Beijing as the traffic to the airport is crazy but we made it. We decided not to check our bags, travel light and minimize so although a bit hectic we got there and headed to security. I usually do not travel with only a carry on so I totally did not think about all of the items I had in my toiletries that would not pass inspection. There I was hauling out eye make-up remover, deodorant, hair products, face wash and body spray! All of it GONE! I was so angry with myself for not thinking of it and also so devastated to see all of my favourite products from home tossed in the trash. So what’s a girl to do….Embrace it! I was in remote Thailand where we are you cannot find replacement products so I decided to make do! This experience had me thinking about all the ways I am shedding weight here in China. How I am learning to live more simplistically and without items we would consider essentials at home. I am learning to be happier with the quiet and calm of my own thoughts and mind.

My apt is simple. One bedroom, a small living room/kitchen and a bathroom. I have limited space and therefore accumulate very little in the way of “stuff”. I have a few lamps, pillows and area rugs to make it feel like home! My diffuser is essential and makes me feel calm and grounded.

In the kitchen, I have a couple of pots and pans, a hot plate, microwave and toaster oven. Nothing fancy but I am able to make simple meals like stir frys, curries and good ole scrambled eggs. I have few items in my cupboard and my fridge is stocked with fresh fruit, veggies, yogurt and a few staples.

I have no car and walk virtually everywhere I go: groceries, osteopath, restaurants, hairdresser, yoga, park and nail salon. The odd time if I am going with someone else I will take a taxi. I still have yet to take a bus, ride a bike or take the subway.

My entertainment usually consists of watching tv shows or movies from our server, going to yoga, activities at school or dinner with friends.

My wardrobe is simple and as you know my shoe choices are limited. I have a few of my staple items from home but left a great deal behind! Buying clothes while reasonable in price is difficult unless you want your entire wardrobe from Gap, H & M or Zarra. And shoes well, let’s not even go there!

Besides the simplicity of my environment there is more simplicity in my work life. My focus is directed more on teaching and learning and less on managing other things like Health and Safety, Student Discipline, Special Education, FNMI, OFIP etc. etc. I spend the majority of my time in classrooms observing teachers, providing feedback and collaborating with teams around the planning of instruction. Professional learning and true PLCs are embedded into the work we do each day. I can leave my office for hours at a time going from classroom to classroom without the interruption of a walkie talkie, page, phone call or emergency text message. I feel that I have autonomy to make decisions that directly impact programming and instruction and student learning. I can take risks, try new things, co-plan and co-teach with my teachers, have deep and meaningful dialogue with the extended admin team about teaching and learning. I greet all students each morning and bid them farewell at the end of the day!

I can leave at 5:00 and spend most of my evening doing the things I want to do. I am writing, reading, and meditating more. I am calmer, happier and generally less stressed. I have had one day in about 30 that felt like one of my typical days of days past and certainly not the worst or most stressful. I can THINK! I am excited again about my job and cannot wait to get there each morning.

I am not going through the motions but living in the moment. I am taking time to embrace new experiences even if they are uncomfortable or difficult and enjoying them!

I miss my family and friends terribly but I am learning a lot about myself and shedding the weight of stress, duty, business, obligation, and materialism. I am discovering things about myself, my work and my environment that I never would have found if I had not taken this leap of faith.

For now I am enjoying living in the moment not worrying about tomorrow, next week or next year. Just right here, right now, enjoying and experiencing! I am present!

2 thoughts on “Shedding the Weight….

1. So Happy and Proud for and of you. You are an amazing leader and a great friend. Harrison can bring over the items you need. Just let us know.

2. Hi Anne Marie, I just read your post, although we have not spoken for many years , I was surprised to learn you were in China , I think you are brave.
    What an opportunity and an experience . I am happy to hear that you are taking it all in
    What an adventure you are having