Setting up Success…..

For the last two weeks I have had the pleasure of planning, delivering and participating in orientation with my staff, students and families.

We began with our staff who are new to CISB, some who are new to teaching and some who are new to International education. For these first three days new staff members were inundated and I am sure overwhelmed with information and professional learning. The first day teachers spent with Human Resources getting everything completed for their work in China: physicals, bank accounts, visas, housing, contract, furnishing and getting apt ready etc. This is VERY VERY overwhelming because everyone is so jet lagged, hungry and confused. It takes about 3 days minimum to get over the jet lag. Many of our new staff have traveled with partners to are called trailing spouses who are unable to work here or who cannot find work in their field as well as staff who have small children. Settling in can be a HUGE challenge!

Part of the Orientation for new staff involves other activities outside of school. There are trips to Ikea, Carrefour, the market, the park, local restaurants etc. There are tutorials on how to set up WEChat, ordering in and safety. There are multiple opportunities for staff to ask questions, address concerns and receive support. Each new staff is assigned a Marigold (mentor) who supports, checks in and assists staff with adjusting to their new life in Beijing.

The next 2 days are spent with a balance of professional learning about teaching through inquiry, components of the PYP program, CAFE and Daily 5, Running Records, Guided Reading and classroom environments. New teachers have time and support to set up their classrooms. Our instructional coaches, PYP coordinators, Department Heads and Admin team check in and support through this process.

The last three days of the week returning staff join us and we begin our year together. This again is a combination of professional learning and classroom set up. There is PD led by the extended administration team around Math, Language, Inquiry, PYP and Technology. Grade, Team Leads and Department teams are given a great deal of time to work collaboratively so they can establish their units of inquiry, common practices and essential agreements for their work together. New teachers are welcomed and supported through this process and have a sense of belonging. I have been able to spend a great deal of my time setting out my expectations, getting to know staff and having them get to know me. We have reviewed policies and procedures, established communication protocols, created our essential agreements, reviewed health and safety issues, adjusted timetables and supervision schedules etc. We have laughed, been silly and serious and begun the process of creating a strong and productive team!

Finally, yesterday we held an Orientation Open House. Staff were in their classrooms from 10-4 where they welcomed all of our new students and some of our returning students. Information was provided for parents about schedules, communication and background about the teacher. Parents and students had the opportunity to see the classroom and talk with the teacher. Parents then were able to do other things like purchase uniforms, register for the bus, load their child’s meal card, buy a computer etc. It was an exciting, productive and tiring day! The smiles on the children’ faces were priceless as they introduced themselves and discovered or rediscovered their school.

This is the first time ever for me that I have not felt that I am beginning the school year already behind or in a deficit. I along with my AMAZING extended admin team have had the time to establish our identity and direction. We have been able to spend time with our staff setting them up for success and MOST of all our students are beginning a school year that is based on a solid foundation. We have established our relationships as adults in the building and the norms and expectations have been set for the year. We have determined our school goals and focus for improvement. We have one vision that is aligned moving forward. There are no distractions beyond the teaching and learning for staff and students.

This process naturally creates a foundation of success and allows us all to begin on the same page and in the same direction. Teachers feel supported and prepared which means our students will be supported and prepared to begin their new school year!

4 thoughts on “Setting up Success…..

1. Congrats Ann-Marie, looks like and exciting yet challenging adventure. Wishing you all the best.
    Jessica Jbosma, SCIP

2. It sounds like much has been done to settle everyone and giving them a chance to get to know everyone……so important. Have a great year!

3. I love how the ‘new teachers’ have an opportunity for orientation/new learning prior to the retuning staff. Building capacity is key to student success! Enjoy all of your new learning as well!