Why great teachers make good coaches….
As many of you know hockey is a huge part of life here at the Luce household. There are many parallels drawn and lessons taught through a daily comparison between hockey and education. We may even have the odd heated debate.
My experience as both an educator, hockey mom and hockey wife is that the qualities that make great teachers also make great coaches. Great teachers and coaches:
1. Focus on strengths.
2. Differentiate to support individual needs.
3. Have high expectations for all.
4. Are consistent.
5. Provide specific, timely and individualized feedback for growth.
6. Have clear, open lines of communication.
7. View mistakes as learning opportunities.
8. Create a sense of community.
9. Are open to new learning.
What are some qualities you would add to this list?