The Ups of 2013…….

upupandawayThis has certainly been a year of ups and downs for me! It has been by far one of the most challenging and rewarding years of my life.

The Ups of 2013……

1. New hip: despite the challenges in getting there I am pain free and moving better than ever. This experience strengthened my marriage, relationships and made me reflect and look inward for strength and resilience.

2. New school, new staff and new community: Although the journey was a bit rocky last year with the challenges of my absence and a labour disruption I have found no better place to be. I am privileged to work alongside the most dedicated, open-minded and caring group of staff I have ever met.

3. Santa Fe Conference: I had the opportunity to travel to Santa Fe, New Mexico with a close friend and colleague where we explored what it means to be a leader, what motivates us to lead and what we are passionate about as leaders. It was the perfect time to reflect, rejuvenate, and relax.

4. Harrison’s graduation from high school: As parents we are proud of his accomplishments but more importantly we are in awe of what an amazing young man he has become.

5. Griffin’s invite to the U16 USA Camp: Griffin was the outsider here. A US born Canadian taking a spot from some American boys! This camp taught him to look within and fight through adversity never losing sight of his goal.

6. Griffin’s selection to the All State All Canadians Camp: He was so fortunate to be selected as one of 40 young men across Canada to participate in a Mentorship Camp with the NHLPA.

7. Family trip to Hawaii: This was our second trip as a family to a place that we all love. It was a great time to reconnect and relax as a family after a busy year! We enjoyed the opportunity to talk, laugh. discover and create memories together.

8. Superintendent’s Internship program: I am enjoying the opportunity to challenge my thinking, dialogue with colleagues and gain further insight and understanding of the role of superintendent.

9. Harrison and Griffin’s acceptance into Salisbury School: As a parent it is hard to let go but easier knowing that your children are going to a place of opportunity. Salisbury has supported the growth of my boys as young men and taught them lessons both positive and negative about how to live away from home, what it is like to live with others of diverse backgrounds and how to rise above adversity. I miss them everyday and wish they were closer but I am glad they have this opportunity to grow and learn.

10. Griffin’s commitment to University of Michigan: We were thrilled and honoured when Griff made the decision to commit to the NCAA. As parents all we have wanted is for him to use his hockey talents as a vehicle to an education. It is easy to get caught up in the hype, attention and accolades. As parents we wanted Griffin to stay grounded and to take time to think and reflect on his opportunities and to make a decision that was in his best interest long term. As parents we feel confident he has done just that.

2013 was not without its challenges, but more about that in my next blog post. For today I would like to look back with gratitude and happiness on all the great things of 2013.